by Eva Dean Folkert
Freshman Gabe Boonstra became an MIAA champion for the first time in an individual event on Friday by winning the 200-yard freestyle at the 2020 MIAA Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Championships at Calvin University's Venema Aquatic Center.
A freshman from Hudsonville (Hudsonville HS), Boonstra, pictured, put up a time of 1:40.41 in the event, narrowly missing Hope's school record by two-tenths of a second.
Also in the 200 freestyle, freshman Bailey Smith of Battle Creek (Lakeview HS) earned a bronze medal, taking third place by clocking a 1:41.66.
The Flying Dutchmen now stand in third place with 455 points after the third day of the MIAA Championships. Albion College moved into first place with 600.5 points while Calvin University is second with 564 points. Rounding out the standings are Kalamazoo College in fourth with 366.5 points, Olivet College in fifth with 234, and Alma College in sixth with 133.
Senior Dan Clyde of Ann Arbor (Huron HS) was runner-up in in the 400 individual medley, finishing in 3:59.79 which is an NCAA B-cut time.
Hope's other individual finals finisher was freshman Jack Muller of Queensland, Australia (Meridan State) who claimed fourth place in the 100 breaststroke by touching the wall in 56.90.
Freshman JT NIssen of Spring, Texas (Klein Collins HS), freshman Andre Aro of Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo Central HS), Muller, and freshman Jackson Uyl of DeWitt (DeWitt HS) turned in a fourth-place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:33.76.
Friday consolation heat finishers were:
- Sophomore Liam Faber of Grand Rapids (East Kentwood HS) with 10th place (4:16.610), freshman Theo Duong of Kentwood (East Kentwood HS) in 12th (4:19.34), freshman Will Benner of State College, Pennsylvania (State College Area HS) in 14th (4:22.95), and senior Jeff Engle of Kalamazoo (Home School) in 15th (4:23.78) in the 400 individual medley;
- Nissen and Aro who tied for 11th (52.34) in the 100 butterfly;
- Freshman Brant Assink of Holland (Holland Christian HS) and Uyl who were 12th (1:46.58) and 16th (1:48.83), respectively, in the 200 freestyle;
- Freshman Ted Lockett of Cincinnati, Ohio (St. Xavier HS) in 11th (1:00.11), Faber in 14th (1:02.09), Will Benner in 16th (1:03.47) in the 100 breaststroke;
- Senior Seth Costello of Williamston (Williamston HS) who finished 12th (55.34), Aro who took 13th (56.03), and freshman Collin Kline who claimed 15th (56.82) in the 100 backstroke, and,
- Costello, Lockett, senior Keon Rick of Spring Lake (Spring Lake HS), and Kline who took 12th in the 200 medley relay by finishing in 1:38.60.
The 2020 MIAA Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Championships conclude at Calvin University on Saturday with prelims at 10:00 a.m. and finals at 5:30 p.m.