by Alan Babbitt
The Hope College men's tennis team fell to 28th-ranked Kalamazoo College, 8-1, on Thursday at home in a matchup of first-place Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association teams.
The Flying Dutchmen are now 9-8 overall and 5-1 in MIAA play.
Hope earned its point at No. 2 doubles with an 8-6 victory from seniors Michael Kiley of Muskegon, Michigan (Mona Shores) and Tim Roe of Bakersfield, California (Frontier) against Kalamazoo's Allen Vinson and Zack Ray.
The Flying Dutchmen has clinched the No. 2 seed for next month's MIAA Tournament and will host a semifinal on Thursday, May 2 at 4 p.m. against an opponent to be determined.
Hope's next matches are Saturday, April 20 in Oberlin, Ohio against Case Western Reserve University (Ohio) and the College of Wooster (Ohio).
1. Ian Yi (KZOO) def. Mark VanderStoep (HOPE) 6-0, 6-1
2. Daniel Henry (KZOO) def. Tim Roe (HOPE) 6-1, 6-3
3. Tytus Metzler (KZOO) def. Michael Kiley (HOPE) 6-3, 6-4
4. Allen Vinson (KZOO) def. Danny Kroeze (HOPE) 6-1, 6-2
5. Casey Johnson (KZOO) def. Christian Rhoades (HOPE) 6-0, 6-0
6. Alex Cadigan (KZOO) def. Alec Berrodin (HOPE) 6-3, 6-0
1. Ian Yi/Daniel Henry (KZOO) def. Mark VanderStoep/Danny Kroeze (HOPE) 8-4
2. Michael Kiley/Tim Roe (HOPE) def. Allen Vinson/Zack Ray (KZOO) 8-6
3. Tytus Metzler/Alex Cadigan (KZOO) def. David Bacon/Carter Smiley (HOPE) 8-5