by Alan Babbitt
Winning three five-set singles matches lifted the Hope College men's tennis team to a 4-3 non-league victory against Cornerstone University on Friday at DeWitt Tennis Center.
The Flying Dutchmen picked up five-set singles wins from senior Danny Kroeze of Holland, Michigan (Holland Christian) at No. 1 singles, freshman Paul Washington of Dearborn, Michigan (Dearborn) at No. 4 singles and freshman Tyler Stafford of Grand Rapids, Michigan (Grand Rapids Christian) at No. 6 singles.
Freshman Tyler Koran of Salinas, California (Salinas) opened singles play with a two-set victory at No. 5 singles.
Hope (1-2 overall) overcame an early deficit when Cornerstone (3-1) earned the doubles points by winning all three matches.
The Flying Dutchmen return to action on Saturday, February 8 with two non-league home matches against Augustana College (Illinois) and Case Western Reserve University (Ohio).
1. Danny Kroeze (HOPE) def. Mateo Jimenez 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Kanstantsinau (C) def. Alec Berrodin 6-1, 6-2
3. John Cocoma (C) def. Cameron Coates 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Paul Washington (HOPE) def. Tomas Yacuzio 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
5. Tyler Koran (HOPE) def. Matthew Hall 6-0, 6-3
6. Tyler Stafford (HOPE) def. Jacob Stegman 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
1. Mateo Jimenez/Alex Kanstantsinau (C) def. Danny Kroeze/Jacob Burkett 6-3
2. John Cocoma/Tomas Yacuzio (C) def. Cameron Coates/Matt Henkel 6-2
3. Matthew Hall/Jacob Stegman (C) def. Michael Hoffman/Tyler Koran 6-3