by Eva Dean Folkert
Emma Schaefer, pictured, won one event, was runner-up in another and set two new school records in each on Friday night at the Wheaton (Illinois) Invitational.
The junior from DeWitt (Saint Johns HS) bested her own record, set last February, in the 200-yard individual medley by more than two tenths of a second with a time of 2:06.58 while taking second place in the event.
Schaefer then won the 100-yard breaststroke and broke an 18-year-old school record, previously held by Betsy VandenBerg, in the process. With a time of 1:04.87, Schaefer claimed the new record by just one hundredth of a second. VandenBerg's old mark in the event was 1:04.88.
The Hope College women's swimming team is in third place with 281 points after the first day of competition in the seven-team Wheaton meet.
Other Hope finals finishers on Friday were:
- Senior Erin Emmert of Grand Blanc (Power Catholic HS) in third place in the 200-yard butterfly in 2:08.47;
- Freshman Tarah Lang of Marshall (Marshall HS) in eighth place in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:18.30;
- Sophomore Aubrey East of Farmington Hills (North Farmington HS) and freshman Avery Covert of South Lyon (South Lyon HS) taking seventh (1:08.27) and eighth (1:08.47) places respectively in the 100-yard breaststroke;
- Emmert and junior Hope Reynolds of Exon, Pa. (Villa Maria Academy) clocking times for seventh (2:10.65) and eighth (2:13.63) places respectively in the 200-yard backstroke; and,
- The 800-yard freestyle relay team of Schaefer, Lang, Emmert and freshman Sydney Randall of Byron Center (Byron Center HS) in third with a time of 7:54.60; and,
The Flying Dutch continue competing in the Wheaton Invitational on Saturday, December 7. Prelims are at 10 a.m. CST and finals at 5 p.m. CST.