by Alan Babbitt
The 32nd-ranked Hope College women's tennis team is closing in on a record-tying fifth consecutive Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association regular-season championship.
The Flying Dutch defeated Albion College, 9-0, on Friday at DeWitt Tennis Center to reduce their magic number to one to clinch at least a share of a MIAA title.
Hope (13-5 overall, 6-0 MIAA) can become league champs with a Kalamazoo College loss to Trine University on Monday, April 22 or a Flying Dutch victory at Alma College on Tuesday, April 23.
An outright crown will be Hope's if the Flying Dutch win their final two matches next week: at Alma, then home against Adrian College on Wednesday, April 24.
Hope previously won five MIAA titles in a row from 1996-2000.
1. Claire Hallock (HOPE-W) def. Lauren Solano (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1
2. Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE-W) def. Marceline Redick (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sydney Jackson (HOPE-W) def. Kathryn Valade (ALBION) 6-0, 6-0
4. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE-W) def. Saige Jost (ALBION) 6-1, 6-1
5. Bailey Chorney (HOPE-W) def. Madeline Samra (ALBION) 6-0, 6-0
6. Brigid DeVries (HOPE-W) def. Namara Swillum (ALBION) 6-0, 6-1