by Alan Babbitt
The Hope College women's tennis team powered its way to a 5-0 victory against Principia College (Illinois) to begin the NCAA Division III Tournament on Thursday in Gambier, Ohio.
The 33rd-ranked Flying Dutch overcame early jitters, head coach Bob Cawood, to advance to a second-round match against regional host and 13th-ranked Kenyon College on Friday, May 10 at 2 p.m.
This marked the fourth consecutive season Hope won its opening match in NCAA Tournament play.
Hope (18-5) and Kenyon (18-3) have not played each other this season but have six common opponents.
Photo by Amanda Bandrowski by Marty Fuller/Kenyon College
Against Principia (9-13), the Flying Dutch took control early by winning all three doubles matches, including two flights by 8-3 scores.
"Principia came out strong in doubles. We played with a little bit of nerves, something you would foresee in a nationals match. We worked through it," Cawood said.
1. Claire Hallock (HOPE-W) vs. Cooley, Paige (PCWT) 5-3, unfinished
2. Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE-W) def. Kitchingman, Gabby (PCWT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Sydney Jackson (HOPE-W) vs. Sprague, Greer (PCWT) 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
4. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE-W) vs. Jones, Hallie (PCWT) 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
5. Bailey Chorney (HOPE-W) def. Switzer, Sarah (PCWT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Erin LaBarge (HOPE-W) vs. Carlson, Caroline (PCWT) 6-0, 4-0, unfinished
1.Amanda Bandrowski/Claire Hallock (HOPE-W) def. Cooley, Paige/Kitchingman, Gabby (PCWT) 8-3
2. Taylor LaBarge/Sydney Jackson (HOPE-W) def. Sprague, Greer/Jones, Hallie (PCWT) 8-0
3. Erin LaBarge/Bailey Chorney (HOPE-W) def. Heady, Amber/Switzer, Sarah (PCWT) 8-3