by Alan Babbitt
The nationally ranked Hope College women's tennis team opened the 2020 season with a 6-1 victory against NCAA Division II's Davenport University on Friday at DeWitt Tennis Center.
The Flying Dutch won five of six singles flights and swept three doubles matches. Against Division II opponents, the winner of the most doubles matches claims one point.
1. Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE) def. Willemien Coetzee (DU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Claire Hallock (HOPE) def. Danica Malan (DU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Leah Newhof (HOPE) def. Adeline Nelson (DU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Vladislava Shumilova (DU) def. Sydney Jackson (HOPE) 7-6, 6-4
5. Bailey Chorney (HOPE) def. Sophie Gossett (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-7
6. Liz Pniewski (HOPE) def. Lillian Mouw (DU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Claire Hallock/Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE) def. Willemien Coetzee/Danica Malan (DU) 6-2
2. Leah Newhof/Sydney Jackson (HOPE) def. Adeline Nelson/Vladislava Shumilova (DU) 6-1
3. Delanie Riebschleger/Bailey Chorney (HOPE) def. Emma Philippus/Sophie Gossett (DU) 6-1